Skip to content

The Fall of Light has landed!

06/06/2013

IMG_0445This morning I opened my door and there was a bubble-wrapped package on the doorstep. It took  a while to hack it open, and this is what I pulled out – an advance copy of my novel. I have a weird sensation when I see my books, because I play a large role in what they look like. My excitement is counterbalanced with cringe – was that the kind of cover I should’ve designed? Did I choose the right typeface? What would my old creative directors say – that it was sloppy, that I should’ve finessed it more? What about the paper – so white, so uncharacteristic in fiction, where the usual stock is cream and bulky? Were those the right decisions? Oh God, it’s too late now.

I never read my books after they are published, beyond skimming them for sections to read at events. I had my chance at the end of last year, and over again this year, where I had the sense I could go on changing things forever. This is it, it’s never going to be perfect, but I hope I made it as good as it could be. Of course, how I imagine someone might read my novel is never how they are actually going to read it. They will bring their own baggage, their own memories, their own quirks, experiences and obsessions. As much as I want people to pick up on the fairy tale references and the pokes at contemporary art, they might not notice them, instead concentrating on the family dynamics in the book. After four years of being able to control my little fictional world, I now have to relinquish that control. The story is no longer just mine. And I don’t really want it to be mine, because I love it when I can make another writer’s world my own, and when a reader tells me that I was writing about them.

Anyway, here are a few little shots of the graphic novella section in the book:

IMG_0451

IMG_0448And here are the flaps, which are very exciting to have, as my last two books were trade paperbacks and this is a C format (if I have my publishing terms correct).

IMG_0453

Anyway, it’s not published yet – it won’t be out until July. In the meantime I shall fret that everyone will hate it and have wild fantasies that everyone will love it. I hope that some of you will fall into the latter category!

10 Comments leave one →
  1. 06/06/2013 2:27 pm

Congratulations! It looks fantastic.

• Sarah Laing permalink
      06/06/2013 2:29 pm

And congratulations to you too, Jared! I have to get my hands on a copy of your book.

2. 06/06/2013 2:58 pm

Love the cover design. It looks great! …you have nothing to worry about 🙂

3. 06/06/2013 3:19 pm

Love, love, love the cover art!

4. David Geary permalink
    06/06/2013 3:21 pm

Onya! Cover, typeface, graphic novella all look great, relax…now write another one.

5. 06/06/2013 6:11 pm

THAT IS SO FREAKIN’ EXCITING! SORRY FOR SHOUTING! I AM JUST REALLY EXCITED! I can’t wait to read iiiiiiiiiiiiiitttt! It looks beautiful! You are so clever. x Helen

6. 06/06/2013 7:04 pm

love the title and the artwork! also what you have written about letting books go out into the world and find their own way in the minds of readers.

7. 06/06/2013 11:05 pm

Massive congratulations, Sarah!

Someone recently suggested Ted Hughes was responsible for the quote about writers/poets building houses and it being up to other people how they choose to live in them – it’s a lovely idea, but I guess scary/exciting in practice. You, however, have nothing to worry about, I’m sure.

8. Vanessa Berry permalink
    06/06/2013 11:56 pm

I will love it! Congratulations and can’t wait to read it.

Trackbacks