Skip to content

Not quite Meeting Morrissey

19/12/2012

19december001   19december00219december003 19december004 19december005

The Wellington Morrissey concert was brilliant. Morrissey sang lots of Smiths songs that I never thought I would hear live. I was beside myself at How soon is now, Still Ill and I know it’s over. Actually, a very important thought that I had in the plane which I forgot to draw was that I thought ‘I can die now and go down singing To die by your side, the pleasure the privilege is mine‘. I am quite nervous about flying.

If any of you have managed to get the latest Metro magazine you would have seen that I was quite nervous about revisiting the past. The 1991 Morrissey concert goes down in my personal hall of best lifetime experiences. But this time I was not disappointed in the slightest. I am still so very happy. And we had a beautiful weekend, as documented by Helen.

6 Comments leave one →
  1. Rohan permalink
    19/12/2012 3:25 pm

I’m shaky and flushed just reading about it! How delightful….

2. Drew permalink
    19/12/2012 5:51 pm

When we saw you and Morrissey land we were sure the plane was quivering with either a body slam or unrequitedness. Post me a copy of Dead People’s Music quick pronto and I’ll deliver it next time I’m skulking past the music department…

3. Angeline permalink
    22/12/2012 9:53 am

I was on this flight and heard parts of this conversation as you depict it! I tried to smile over at you a few times but I don’t think you saw! I was happy because it was a very Moz (80s) outfit that I was wearing that day – a floral shirt, my hair sort of quiffed up, brogues. Thanks for the awesome comic, it really captures the spirit of the EVENT!

• Sarah Laing permalink
      22/12/2012 10:12 am

I’m sorry I didn’t notice you smiling! But then I walked right past Morrissey and didn’t see him the first time either – obviously my powers of observation are spotty! Your outfit sounds excellent.

4. David Geary permalink
    25/12/2012 7:28 pm

You are the last of the international playgirls!

5. Brodie permalink
    12/02/2013 11:05 am

Great stuff. I was on the 3:30 pm flight so I wasn’t even close to meeting Morrissey. They were both great shows. I was so pleased that I made the effort to travel to Wellington… I had regretted not making the journey in ’91. I think these two shows were actually far better than ’91, especially as the band was a lot more proficient.